Sunday, October 18, 2009

Mormons or Peace Corps?

There is something that is becoming increasingly clear to me. Bulgaria is small. Bulgaria is Duluth, MN small.

This has become apparent in the way that most people I encounter in Bulgaria knows, has known or known of a Peace Corps volunteer. This is really great, and I think says a lot about the work Peace Corps is doing in Bulgaria.

So, that brings me to yesterday (Saturday, October 17); a fellow volunteer and I met in Plovdiv to do a little exploring and eat some McDonalds! We were in the old town at a gift stand when the man working the stand heard us speaking English and could tell that we were American. He asked us “Mormons or Peace Corps?”

2 comments:

  1. Haha that's awesome! I hope yall said mormans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read somewhere a that there are three groups of Americans that are the ambassadors to the developing world:

    1) Foreign Service Officers
    2) Peace Corps Volunteers
    3) Mormon Missionaries

    I am a Mormon, and when I was in the Peace Corps in Romania (returned this past june) I would often get similar questions. It was always hard to explain. "Well both, actually...but not exactly as you might think..."

    ReplyDelete